Monday, August 3, 2015

Elder Withers in picturesque England
Hello!

Here's some English Culture for ya:

"Sent me to Coventry" = gave me the silent treatment/cold shoulder

There are roundabouts every where here! And you yield to the right and to cars in the roundabouts already

People like to say "oh my days". Elder Kalabnko (Ukraine) likes to say it too

"loafers" = slippers

"cheeky" = sly, or naughty, or something like that

"quid" = slang for pounds (money). It's like "bucks" for American money.

"Swimming Costume" = swim suit

"nanny" = grandma
 

Monday I did some service in my "loafers" because I left my shoes at a member's home in Stotfold (we helped her and her husband move into their house). 

I've been able to be more myself recently, if that makes sense. I'm more comfortable joking around and being a little goofy. Which makes being a missionary that much more fun for me, and I feel that it helps others too! 

Discipline and diligence are so important as a missionary. Exactly obedience, like the Stripling Warriors in the book of Alma, brings so many blessings. There's a saying I like: "Obedience brings blessings, but exact obedience brings miracles" 

Fathers really have an influence on their children...I've started to pour milk on my cake when it seems dry, or just when I feel like it... Thanks Dad :) 

I really like the exercise bike in the Letchworth flat! I've been pretty consistent with using it in the morning. It reminds me a little bit of when I was at BYU - there was a "lazy man iron man" challenge where we had to run, bike, and swim a lot. And the cycling/spinning in our flat reminds me of spinning/cycling at BYU! This morning I did 20 minutes and worked up a decent sweat. Good job Elder Withers! 

Elder Withers' district

The more I develop my relationship with members, non-members, people on the street, my companions, other missionaries, the mission president and his wife (etc.), the more I enjoy what I do! It's great getting to know people. As a missionary we get to talk to people we don't know all the time, with the potential of making new friends! What a blessing. 

Elder Mabingo from Burundi, Africa
 
I'm not sure if I said this last week or not, but Elder Kalabanko's new missionary may not be coming this transfer (6 week period). So we may end up serving in a trio for the whole transfer! 

It's such a blessing to be able to serve here in England. I'm grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord, and the many ways that He continues to bless and encourage me, despite my weaknesses.  

I hope you all have a great week! 

Love,

Elder Withers
Food!
More food!!

Note in planning calendar :)


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment