Thursday, July 2, 2015



Selfie with Elder Cook and birthday pacakges
Hello! 

Just like that it's Monday again. This week is a blur! I'm glad that I've been journaling.  

This week, President and Sister Jordan had their farewell meeting. I think President and Sister Stevens (our new mission president and his wife) will be here tomorrow. 

On Monday, we walked 2.6 miles to a family's house to visit with them. And 2.6 miles back. Do the math, and it's 5.2 miles in total :) It's quite the journey, but the English countryside is BEAUTIFUL. 

The Amos Family had us for dinner on Wednesday. They served some chicken fajita/wrap things with lettuce, guacamole, salsa, sour cream, cheese, "crisps". They made (I say they, but I mean Sister Amos. She's Welsh, by the way) a big cupcake cake with frosting and reeses pieces candies, and sang happy birthday to me! They gave us some to take home too! I love their family so much. They have two young boys, that are funny kids. Brother Amos came teaching with us. 

I've been able to speak a little Spanish! To Sister Ansell (I think she's from CA, but she's of Mexican descent), and a woman named Margarita (from Columbia) and Alejandra. Elder Cook told Alejandra "Ally" that I'm half Mexican and that both of my parents were Mexican. Which doesn't quite make sense, but it's humorous. There aren't too many Spanish speakers here in Hitchin. But I'm ready to use it if the opportunity.  

Elder Cook and I went with a young man (turning 21 on Aug 30) to a ward BBQ (we just went for the BBQ portion. There was a father-son campout that night, but we obviously didn't stay for that.) Connor is progressing really well! 
 

Some English culture for ya:

     "duvet" = comfortor (blanket)
      I think a "duvet day" is like a PJ day

      Half six = 6:30

      People sometimes pronounce words that end in a "w" with an extra r. For example,
      "law" = "lawr" 

I opened my B day package on thursday June 25! I loved it! I took a video of me opening it... It's kinda awkward, but I hope you enjoy it, family. It was so wonderful to open up that box (I had two to take with me from the Mission home! I got a couple comments about my massive packages) I felt the love :) It was fun to have little wrapped gifts. I made the cake! The mix made two little cakes in the trays you sent, and I gave one of them to a girl named Naomi. Her 18th Birthday is today and I felt like we should bring her something! It was fun to bring it over. It was a little burnt, but not bad! I LOVE it. The frosting is yummy. And I cut up 5 hersheys nuggets into smaller chunks, and added that to the cakes, dividing the pieces between each mix. I only added these chocolate pieces to the cake to add to the nutritional value. It was soooooo fun to have both of those packages! So kind and thoughtful of you. 

My prayers continue to be answered, despite my weakness. I'm especially grateful for the many tender mercies of the Lord that "can make me mighty unto the power of deliverance." The peaceful assurances I receive from the Spirit, and the gentle impressions I receive are very comforting, and much needed. I love my Heavenly Father and I love my Savior! 

I need to lose myself in this work! The time I have for my mission is limited, and I can't afford to waste any time. There's a lot for me to work on, and I have to put my whole "might, mind, heart, and strength" into this mission.  I don't want to have any regrets at the end of these 2 years. And that starts with being able to say, at the end of every day, that I gave my all. I'm not there yet, but I want to be. I've said this before, but I really want to be changed by my mission. 

This is an exciting time in my life and I want it to be so meaningful! I hope you all have a good week. 

I know Jesus Christ is my Savior, and that because of His Atonement we can return to live with our Father in Heaven if we keep His commandments and repent! I know the Book of Mormon is true, and I'm so grateful for it. It is truly a gift from God and is one of the many ways He has shown His love for us. Heavenly Father answers prayers! And we can know the truth of all things by the Power of the Holy Ghost. I'm so grateful for this knowledge I have. 

Cheers! 

Elder Withers

 





Elder Cook

No comments:

Post a Comment