Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Alec and Elder Jensen visiting Colchester Castle

Hello family! 

So much has happened this past week and it's all a blur. I feel so bad that I haven't been writing in my journal because I'm losing memories!

Yikes... It's so tough because we have call ins from 9:20-10:20 (if we start and end on time) every Wednesday, Friday, Sunday, and on the other days I always feel so busy, and I often use night time to call missionaries and see how here doing/follow up/ challenge them, since the days get so busy. I'll include things that I can remember and use my planner to prompt further memories. 

On Tuesday, we drove to Cambridge in the morning! How cool is that?!

It's like 1 hour 15 minutes away. We attended a District Meeting their in a senior missionary couple's home (The Jackmans). They're so amazing! They like me too because I went to BYU and I remind them of someone they're related to. After DM, they provided lunch. We then spent time finding with the missionaries there, and returned home to Colchester with a set of elders. 

That night, we took part in a great mutual activity planned and prepared by the sisters. It was a mini-MTC experience! They put together mission calls for the various youth (one of which was the Ohio Cleveland mission), provided paper nametags, and planned things so well. Elder Jensen and I got to make some opening remarks. Which I quite enjoyed. I find it fun to stand up in front of people and talk.

Anywho, I was with Elder Walker since we were on an exchange. We took a group of the most choice and righteous youth (those that had been called to the Cleveland mission) to the chapel where we taught them how to find aka how to talk to people on the streets. Afterwards, they went outside with their companion and tried to find people to teach.

The leaders were outside in casual clothes pretending to be an average joe. After they set a return appointment, all the youth came back inside where the sisters instructed them a bit on how to pick a lesson to teach and told them to extend a baptismal date. The "missionaries" then taught the lesson to their investigator. It was a fun activity! I really enjoyed interacting with the youth. Maybe the Ohio youth would love it, too. 

On Wednesday we had a District Meeting in Colchester. We had lunch together after DM. Later that day we had dinner with the Stake President's family! We played a game where there were M&Ms in a bowl at they had to transfer to  pan empty cup. They had 30 seconds to get as many as they could into the cup. It was a competition to see who could get most. We made some parallels to our testimony. One of the things we said was that testimony grows bit by bit and it takes effort over time. Our testimony also grows by sharing it. We invited them to share their testimony with someone! 

On Thursday we went to Ipswich for their DM. I gave a training! It was fun. Like I said before, I enjoy standing in front of people and talking. 

On Friday we went to London for an AP Exchange. 'Twas fun. 

Sunday we had a linger longer lunch after church. Yummy yummy. 

I've committed to be disciplined with my eating. We exercised a little today in our gym! I did 10 minutes of interval training on the treadmill. I ran 1 mile. 

Funny story:

Both Elder Jensen and I got haircuts today at a Turkish barber. That was exciting. The guy that cut my hair couldn't speak English. It was so funny... At one point he turned on the sink in front of me and gestured. I was like "what?" And since I didn't know what he wanted me to do I stuck my hand in it. Lol. Then he said something again and I half- realized he wanted me to put my head in the sink. So I did and he proceeded, to my surprise, to wash my hair with water and shampoo right then and there. After that, he dried my hair, had me sit back in the chair and lean my head back. He went over to another place in the shop and got a towel that was warm and smelled really good (like vicks) and put it over my face and left it for a bit. Then he styled my hair and asked if I wanted gel or anything. I said no. A little bit later he asked if there was anything else and I was like "did you say there was gel?" So he put gel in my hair. And it's max hard gel that makes me look like a greaser. And then he was using a mirror to show me how long my hair was, asking if it was ok, and then I was like its a little long in the back. Another employee translated for my hair cutter friend, and then I was like oh no it's fine, and then the translator dude was basically like "if you want it shorter it's alright" and so this Turkish guy but the hair cutting bib over me and cut my hair again, saying Turkish words that were foreign to my American ears. I presume he said something about me... Lol it was a good experience. 

Margaret Randall feeds us dinner every week and makes us muffins as well. She gives us 3 bags; 1 for us and 1 for each set of sisters in the ward. The most recent batch was super good and we were tempted to take some of the sisters muffins. But we decided not to. Just thought you'd like to know :)


Alec on the street outside his flat
 
Haha here's another funny story. I was on the phone with my son (Elder Rix, the District Leader in Witham), and I was standing on a football (soccer ball en Americano). I lost my balance, fell to the ground, dropped my phone, and then the battery came out. This ended the call.

I called Elder Rix back and shared the reason why our call ended so abruptly, and resumed our conversation.

Elder Jensen and I have definitely had some good laughs...

Well I love all y'all! Have a great week! 

Love,

Elder Withers
 
 
I just remembered!

On Sunday before church (at 9:50) a sister missionary said "oh! You're speaking today!" And I said no I'm not. And she said that I was, and then I was like shoot. haha

I kinda spaced on it because a little while ago I was going to give a talk, and then I was told that just Elder Jensen and 2 sister missionaries would speak. At some point in the past I was asked to speak on a different topic anddd I just forgot.

So I explained this to Brother Foster (1st counselor) and I asked him what my topic was for my talk. He told me, and I prepared it, and then delivered it! I was the first speaker and my talk went really well. I was rather pleased with it. It was easy since it was only supposed to be 5 minutes

Anywho, love yall!
Love,
Me



Colchester Castle

No comments:

Post a Comment